Thursday, March 11, 2010

Up to the Minute!






Luke had a project assignment to report to his class on a rainforest animal. He chose the sloth. (What, no jaguar?) I asked him how he would like to present his animal to the class, suggesting several choices (mobile, poster, video, puppet, etc.). He chose to make a puppet and interview it in front of the class.

We read books, watched videos online, and learned all we wanted to know and more about sloths. Did you know there was once even a giant ground sloth, which is now extinct? I didn't, but I do now!

Luke and I made a sock puppet sloth, complete with algae-covered fur and button eyes. We wrote down six questions Luke (the interviewer) could ask Slowpoke the Sloth. He came up with a cute little voice for Slowpoke and everything.

His presentation was about 20 minutes ago. He ditched the voice and was pretty shy about asking Slowpoke the questions and making him talk to the class, but he got all the information across. I'm not sure if his presentation was anything like what the teachers were hoping for, but it's done!


Here is Luke setting out his notecards so he would remember which questions to ask:






And Luke giving the presentation. No video this time. :(

And... in other news... Jason and I are both participating in the AIDS Benefit Gala tomorrow night at our school. I am singing as part of two different groups - one song called Nozanina, which is in an indigenous South American language, and another called O Sifuni Mungu, in Swahili. Then Jason and I are dancing with a bunch of other teachers to Jai Ho. It's going to be lots of fun! We've been practicing like crazy, and we'll all be glad when we're through after tomorrow night. Jai Ho has definitely been one of the highlights of our first year here, though! I hope to post pictures this weekend.

1 comment:

davisclan said...

I sang that song in Swahili! It's so pretty! Have tons of fun, and way to go Luke! What a big kid he is!!