Friday, September 28, 2007

Travel

Last weekend we had a little getaway to a resort on the Mediterranean called Al Arish, at the top of the Sinai peninsula. A guy from school organized the trip, and about 80 people from AIS went. We left Thursday after Jason finished school. We rode a charter bus for four hours, crossing the Suez Canal, and arrived around 8 PM. The hotel served a dinner buffet, and after dinner we walked along the beach. My ears lapped up the sound of the ocean waves in lieu of the honking melody of the Cairo streets. What a pleasant change. We went to bed around 10:00. The next morning we got up, had breakfast, and sat beside the ocean. Luke loved the water and kept saying, “We’re in the Mediterr-AAAA-nean Sea!” Jason buried him in sand and splashed in the waves with him while I sat under the umbrella and soaked in the peace and quiet. Then I played in the sand with Luke and we made a sphinx. Luke and I took a long nap before dinner while Jason played bocce ball and visited with our friends. After dinner we sat outside with teachers to chat, and then went to bed, again around 10. The next day we had the morning on the beach, checked out around 12 PM, and got back on the bus to Cairo around 1:00. We got home around 5:00. It was a great little getaway, even if it was about a week shorter than I would’ve liked! The whole weekend cost about $180, including hotel, breakfast, dinner, and transportation for all 3 of us.

One of the great things about being here is that we can travel so cheaply, and the school calendar has at least one long weekend every month. In October we are going to Luxor to see the Valley of the Kings (where King Tut’s tomb is) as well as other ancient sites. That trip will be a little more expensive, but still affordable. I remember now how I felt in Hong Kong when we were able to travel like this—I could bear the day-to-day stuff more easily because of the frequent getaways we were able to take.

Jason heads home at the end of October for Clay’s wedding. I am so jealous. Not only will he be able to be at the wedding, he will get to see our friends, to have fun and laugh with them and have good memories. To hear Meg giggle and snort when she laughs…see Nabeel dance (and bark?)…give Kristy a big ol’ hug…and endure lots of teasing from George. I will be here, probably crying! In truth, I will be fine. Before we came here I had images of Luke and me holed up in our apartment for the five days Jason is gone, but I am so comfortable here that this won’t be necessary. Noel and Rachella have even graciously offered to let us stay at their house the whole weekend if we want to! We won't, but at least we have friends who are sweet enough to offer.

1 comment:

Georgie's mom said...

I will only giggle. No snorting!