Sunday, October 7, 2007

What a roller-coaster couple of weeks. Let’s just say that losing a wallet and phone (or having them stolen) in Egypt is a frustrating experience. In addition to that, I’ve gone all over Maadi trying to get that sorted out, as well as get travel plans finalized for this weekend, Jason’s trip to San Antonio, and Christmas. This has involved a lot of fast walking (because I’m always cutting it close) in the heat of the day, and repeated trips to the various places of business I’ve had to deal with. Thankfully, most of that is behind me…I think.

Last Monday was the first day of Bible study with my new group. Monday morning I took Luke to school and then went to the bank to try to get my card, with no success—a wasted hour. I’ll spare you the details of why I couldn’t get the card, but I cried my way home. I am sure the sweaty American girl walking down the street with tears streaming down her face was quite a sight for the people I passed. Once I got home I got ready and went to Bible study. I did not want to go, mostly because I’d had such a cruddy morning. I knew it would do me good to get out and meet people, and I’m very excited about the study we’re doing. It’s The Patriarchs by Beth Moore. I have never done a Beth Moore study before, so I’m excited to take on the challenge—though one week in, I don’t find it more challenging than a CBS study—and I think it’s so neat to be studying the patriarchs in the land in which they lived. (Plus the book is really, really pretty.)

I got to the study a little late. It took me a while to find the place. Building numbers in Maadi are assigned without logic. 35B might be right next to 37G and there might be another 35 a hundred yards down from 35B. A helpful policeman also sent me the wrong way down the street. I finally turned around and found it myself. When I entered the home, I relaxed almost immediately. Lela’s home is beautiful, and filled with her own furniture, books, and décor. I was relaxed…and jealous. J It was hard to sit and stay part of the group because I really wanted to get up and read all the titles of the books she has on her shelves. Anyway, we chatted a while about the study and the leader’s (Karen’s) plans for us. She has some really neat ideas for day trips we can take to enhance our study.

I really enjoyed meeting these women. There were only four of us that day, and since one lady had to leave early, Lela, Karen, and I sat and talked for a while. Lela’s been here since December, and may be leaving within 3-9 months from now. Karen has been here longer, though I can’t remember how long. I was so excited to hear their stories and to see myself mirrored in them. They will be my first friends who are not working at the school. I was very excited to learn that Lela is an artist who creates the kind of art that inspires me. She has her own studio in her home with every art supply I could name in it. It was like a room full of new school supplies. I felt completely at home and happy in that room, a feeling I’ve not had since being here, even in our own apartment. Someday soon I am going to take my stuff over to Lela’s house and we are going to have a playdate!

It’s funny how God works…I’ve been writing so much more since being here (only the blog. No fiction yet.) and I’ve been thinking about how I might get some of my work published. I do have a children’s story ready to submit to a publisher, but I am not sure how to approach that process, and I’m too lazy/scared/intimidated to do it yet. The Maadi Women’s Guild publishes a monthly magazine called The Maadi Messenger, and I was reading it on Tuesday. I always read everything, from the table of contents, to the articles, the ads, and the publication information. When I read the publication information, I noticed that the editor is my new friend Lela. Before I lost my courage, I sent Lela an email asking for a writing assignment, directed her to this blog in case she wanted to check out some of my rough work, and told her I’d write whatever she needed for the magazine.

I heard back from her today. I’m going this week to visit the Wadi Degla Club, where the Women’s Guild is holding its Christmas Bazaar. I’ll write an article about the club for the magazine. My deadline is next Monday! How exciting! I need an assignment and a deadline—something to procrastinate toward.

So, although the week began as a big, frustrating mess, it has ended happily.

Jason had a 3-day weekend, so we’ve had lots of fun family time, even some boredom mixed in! We haven’t had much of that since we’ve packed a lot into our first month and a half. Luke is growing like crazy—no traces of baby left at all. He sleeps very well in his “big boy bed” and has only fallen off once. He is much more independent and opinionated (resulting in many more time-outs and a few spankings), and his teacher commented the other day that he was very bright and very stubborn. (I told her he comes by that naturally!) She had tried to change his pull-up and he responded by squealing and saying “NO THANK YOU!!!” She got a big kick out of the “no, thank you”, but was happy when I told her that I expected her to be firm with him and not let him get away with any of that sort of behavior. He is doing much better with potty training. I don’t think he’s had any accidents for five or six days, and he proudly says, “I toot!” when he sits on the potty. Luke and Jason invented a game this weekend called Splat Daddy. Jason lies down on a mattress on the floor and Luke gets a running start and flops on Jason’s tummy. I am going to try to post a short video of this. They have a great time playing together, and I have fun watching and NOT being the splattee.

Tonight we’re going out on a felucca with some friends to escape the noise of Cairo. A few peaceful hours on the water does a world of good when the sounds of the city get to me.

Please keep your emails and comments coming! I love hearing from everyone, and news from home makes me feel “normal.” As of today, we will be home for Christmas in 72 days! Yay!

6 comments:

Kiki said...

Hey girl,
I'm so glad to hear things are going well. Maybe not as well as we would all hope but God never said it would be easy being a follower. Miss you!
Bless you!

Rosemond said...

Katherine, you will love your Beth Moore study! I'm jealous...I haven't done that one yet! We miss you and can't wait to see you in December!!

Cale & Kelly said...

How exciting! I would love to read some of your work. I enjoy your blogs and tell everyone about "my friend Katherine, the one who lives in Cairo..."
Miss you, but glad you are being blessed!

Sarah Nicholson said...

Oooh, ooh, my soon-to-be-published BFF! That sounds wonderful -- can't wait to see what you write.

Sarah Nicholson said...

okay, so 100 years ago I signed up as texva for some list-serv or something, and blogger won't let it die. It's me, Sarah!

Kiki said...

can you give us ideas for Christmas gifts? I know You dont want to haul a lot of stuff back(or cant really). Can we take you guys Ice skating or something when you come home?