Saturday, October 20, 2007

What's that stuff falling from the sky?


Cooler weather is here! The transition has been like fall in Texas so far—a subtle cooling-off over a period of about a week or two. The days are not as oppressively hot, and the nights are really pleasant. The other day I was sitting on the couch (probably on the computer) and I thought I heard thunder outside. I dismissed this as crazy, reasoning that the noise probably came from something being rolled down the street or was related to construction going on nearby. When Jason got home a little bit later, he said he’d been rained on! We went out later that night to go to Bible study and there was lightning about every thirty seconds! After the summer of thunderstorms we had in Texas, I never thought I needed to see rain again, but I was wrong. The lightning show was spectacular, and we got to see it from a 4th floor apartment with an unobstructed view of the sky. We felt sprinkles on the way home. Mud covered the streets when I took Luke to school in the morning. (Nasty mud…what I imagine the mud at Woodstock looked like.) We had to slog through mud puddles down at the unpaved end of our road, and I realized Cairo has no gutters or drainage system of any kind! Why would they need it, I guess? It was great to have a little rain wash everything off and clean the air out. I never thought I’d be so happy to see a dreary cloudy day!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Katherine,

Thank you for your kind words of love. We covet your prayers. Let me tell you something....Luke is CUTE, and I say that emphatically with a Texas twist. What a fun way to keep everyone posted with our blogs. Do hope you will come back to Texas soon. Love, Jenni