Saturday, November 24, 2007

Madam Librarian...

Time for an update—I’ve been subtly hassled by several friends, and I realize I’ve been slack in keeping you all posted on our little lives here in Cairo. So…here I am!

I am now working 2 days a week at Cairo English School as a library assistant. I wasn’t looking for a job; the librarian approached me and asked me if I was still looking for work. When I told her I was very purposefully not looking for work, she said that was too bad because she needed an assistant. After two months of thinking and waiting, I have the job. The library does not have its collection in the software database yet, so I will be helping to enter books into the system. I also get to help organize books, help put together a big order of books for the library, and update the recommended reading list for middle and high school students. It’s perfect for me! I get to take Luke with me. We bring toys for him and he plays in the library. He enjoys seeing the big kids and hearing the stories I read to them. He even helps me choose books to share with the kids. Some days this arrangement works better than others. I’m grateful for the opportunity to be back in a school again, without all the stuff I don’t like about being at school attached to it! I have always thought I might like to be a librarian someday. I hope this will help me figure out whether that’s a path I’d like to take.

By the way, for those of you musical theater lovers--the librarian's name is Marion!

No comments: