Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Fanar de Luna


I have a friend who has access to a place on the Red Sea, in a development called Fanar de Luna. The official website is fanardeluna.com if you're interested in looking at it. There are some really good aerial shots on the site that are pretty neat. Noel also has some great pictures on his blog (link is to the left). My friend has had the task of decorating and outfitting two flats at Fanar, and she has done a spectacular job. I got to help her with some of it.

Anyway, our family went away this weekend to Fanar with our friends, the Simons. The flat we stayed in is decorated with a sea theme, and it has a gorgeous view of the Red Sea. There's a small yard in the back with literally the softest Bermuda grass I have ever set foot in (sorry, Jason). It's right on the beach; there's also a pool, a playground, and room for Luke to ride his bike. We took our own food and ate like royalty. I made hotcakes for breakfast one morning. The other morning Noel cooked omelets. We had chicken fajitas with homemade salsa (Uncle Jack's recipe), steaks and sweet corn, and homemade chocolate chip cookies with REAL Nestle Toll House morsels! Luke got to play in the yard, ride his bike, and put his feet in the sea. Jason and Noel had some good male bonding time, and Rachella and I had lots of good time to talk and catch up, which we haven't been able to do as much this semester. It was a very refreshing weekend for all of us. Good memories before we go home for summer.




Luke had a ball playing with a croquet set. I loved sitting in the swing and letting the wind blow me back and forth. The Red Sea is very windy. Here's Luke sitting in the swing--anyone who knew him in the first 3-4 months of life can probably remember a very tiny version of him looking just like this in his swing back home!


The best part of Fanar, to me, is not the sea or the sand. It's that good clean grass. I just lie right down on it and remember what it was like to be a little girl in summertime in East Texas! I love lying in the grass. It smells fresh and clean, and reminds me of home. It even makes me sneeze!

1 comment:

Cornely said...

Hi Katharine,
could cou tell me more about fanar de Luna? We are thinking about buyint a chalet there, it seems to be pretty nice. I would love to here about the people there and the sea. Is there a coral reef? Is it a sand beach? Is it an international resort or only egyptian?
Greetings from germany,
Cornely