Tuesday, May 20, 2008

To Make You Laugh

In previous posts I have mentioned the lovely assortment of tile patterns we have in our apartment. I kept promising pictures, and although this is NOT on the list of things to do in the next 9 days, I figured I'd keep my promise. Hope these make you smile.

This classy rendition of black and white kitchen tile graces the floor of my kitchen...and my front entry hall, the hallway to our bedroom, 2 bathrooms, and my studio! It has glue and paint stains on it, and random glops of concrete. Those were thrown in at no extra monthly charge to us!
The flooring in our two small bathrooms is the black and white tile, too, and the "decorator" who chose the wall tiles in those two bathrooms didn't seem to care that it didn't go at all with these two patterns:
I actually like the blue/yellow/green combo and think it could be pretty, if it weren't right next to the black and white and also next to this beautiful grey pattern with the elegant accent tiles you see here:That's straight out of some old grandma's bathroom, isn't it? Imagine a pink sink just below with cracked grey formica countertops, a pack of Virginia Slims next to the sink, and a cup with denture juice in it next to that. And yet, this is in my entry hall! (Next to the Taj Mahal mirror!)

Go down the hall toward our bathroom and you get this wall tile:
which I had really avoided looking at in detail until I took this picture. It's not a good enough picture to show you that on the left there is a maiden in pink leaning forlornly on a fountain, with Greek columns in the background.

So let's tally...The Taj Mahal, a picture of King Tut in the front entry, with the grandma's bathroom tile on the wall and the black and white tile on the floor (all in one room!)...then there's the little bathroom with the black and white floor and the Spanish tile on the walls (oh and did I mention that I saw a 7" lizard crawling on the wall in there yesterday!?!)...and the hallway with the emo girl (like my youthy lingo?) on one wall, this on the other wall and the oft-mentioned black and white tile on the floor...and Jason's little bathroom with the Aztec patterned tile on the wall...and then our bathroom tile doesn't look bad at all! To be fair to the bathroom, I took a picture of the only cracked tile in the whole room.

And can you believe it, we think we have one of the GOOD apartments among those we've seen?!! We're pretty happy with it, actually! Sometimes, though, I think of my red kitchen and taupe living room with my pretty furniture and new piano back home and want to barf when I look at this place! But wow, what a year we've had in these places with ugly walls, floors, and furniture! We've made it our home and we'll be glad to come back to a place we already know in August.

1 comment:

jrodges said...

What would be hilarious if what if some of the art work on the tiles is worth a huge amount of money and you never knew... not likely though :)
Love the pictures of the Luke playing in the grass and everyone lounging around.
Looks like it was a beautiful relaxing time!