Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I don't seem to have as much to say this year... Why is that? Oh, yes. I am working!! I could go on forever each day about the daily joys and frustrations of teaching, but those are the just about the same no matter which continent you are on, so I don't want to bore you with that. I don't spend as much time musing and writing as I did last year. Instead I plan lessons and clean watercolor and chalk pastel dust out from underneath my fingernails. Still loving the job - the kids are mostly sweet - but there are several challenging classes that bring me back to reality and make me remember that I am actually teaching and not just playing! I am having a great time creating sample pieces of art to show the kids and just trying to stay one lesson ahead as far as that goes. Even though I have a lot of prep time, I definitely use it all each day.

Now, on to some other things I want to share.

We have been going to church here at Maadi Community Church ever since we moved here. The church has been in a transition period since before we got here - the pastor died unexpectedly and tragically about a year before we came, and one of the associate pastors served as interim all last year, until the new pastor was hired and came in June. Many of the other staff members have gone on to other places. However, the church has still been a place of peace and joy for us during our time here.

I have always served on a worship team or in a choir in every church I've been a member of. I love being a part of leading worship and feel called to do so. I auditioned last year for the worship team here and strangely never heard anything one way or the other. I also never called to ask the results...probably too afraid to hear something that would make me cry... but when kick off week rolled around this year I decided to sign up again and audition again. Long story short, I auditioned two weeks ago and am singing on the worship team this weekend. I am so happy and excited about it. Here is a short video clip of our church's worship time. I love the man who plays bongos. I met him for the first time the night I auditioned and told him what joy I felt when watching him play and worship. He said something like, "When I am up there, I just try to make God smile." What a great attitude to have about all parts of our lives. Watch him here, and see if YOU don't smile!



Another great thing that has finally worked out church-wise is that we are part of a "life group" now. We asked last year to be placed in one with other people with small kids so that we could make some friends here with families. (Most people who teach at our school are either single or married with no kids or grown kids.) We were placed in a group with people whose kids were our age. We decided to wait until there was a group where we fit better. Apparently lots of people started asking for the same thing (we started a trend!) and, at last, the first-ever "family" life group has been formed! We bring the kids, who stay with some sweet ladies downstairs while the parents go upstairs for Bible study. We've met three times, and already I feel like God has answered our prayers through this group. One couple there adopted three children while they lived in Hong Kong and taught at the school where Jason was offered a position two years ago - it's amazing to think that we would have met them either way, whether we accepted that job or this one. We are so blessed to know these neat people, and Luke is enjoying his new group of friends, too.

The third wonderful thing is that some ladies at my school are getting together on Saturday mornings for a Bible study/prayer time. There are seven of us altogether, and it has been SO wonderful to share that time with them. We're studying Romans together.

I had asked God for these three things last year - a chance to serve on the worship team, a home group study for our family, and a ladies' study for me - and all these prayers have been answered this year. I wonder why I had to wait a year - but am grateful and thrilled to have these opportunities to serve God and love others. I've wondered why we were sent to Egypt, and I'm still not sure. When we were in Hong Kong we did the Experiencing God study, and it says, "'What is God's will for my life?'" is not the right question. I think the proper question is, What is God's will? Once I know God's will, then I can adjust my life to Him. In other words, what is it God is purposing to accomplish where I am? Once I know what God is doing, then I know what I need to do. The focus needs to be on God, not on my life." God is working here in Egypt. During the remainder of the time He's given us here, I want to be right where He wants me. Please remember us in your prayers - thanking God that He has given us a church home here and avenues to be involved, and asking for Him to help us see what He would have us do here.

Isaiah 19:1, 19-25

1 An oracle concerning Egypt:
See, the LORD rides on a swift cloud
and is coming to Egypt.
The idols of Egypt tremble before him,
and the hearts of the Egyptians melt within them.

19 In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. 20 It will be a sign and witness to the LORD Almighty in the land of Egypt. When they cry out to the LORD because of their oppressors, he will send them a savior and defender, and he will rescue them. 21 So the LORD will make himself known to the Egyptians, and in that day they will acknowledge the LORD. They will worship with sacrifices and grain offerings; they will make vows to the LORD and keep them. 22 The LORD will strike Egypt with a plague; he will strike them and heal them. They will turn to the LORD, and he will respond to their pleas and heal them.

23 In that day there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria. The Assyrians will go to Egypt and the Egyptians to Assyria. The Egyptians and Assyrians will worship together. 24 In that day Israel will be the third, along with Egypt and Assyria, a blessing on the earth. 25 The LORD Almighty will bless them, saying, "Blessed be Egypt my people, Assyria my handiwork, and Israel my inheritance."

No comments: