Saturday, June 6, 2009

Quick Hits

It seems like I've been working on this particular post for months now. Actually, I think I started it BEFORE Mother's Day, and I'm just now wrapping it up. It's newsy, and it still doesn't contain everything I'd like to share, but I am thinking at this point that whatever I get posted is progress. I am so behind on the blog and on scrapbooks!! Having a job really puts a kink in my productivity. ;)
  • We've been in contact with our Venezuelan school. Everyone, from our principals to the librarian and athletic director, has sent us welcome emails. Seriously, I've probably gotten 10 already! They send me the elementary school weekly bulletin and I think Jason gets the high school one. I've been corresponding with my 5th grade team for next year, and I think we're going to be a great fit for each other. We share a lot of the same philosophies and it seems like we'll work well together. One of the other 5th grade teachers is coming with her husband, 3 year old son, and new baby girl. I'm thrilled that we're going to be new together, and that Luke will have a built-in playmate as soon as we arrive. We've also heard from the couple who has volunteered to be our orientation buddies. They live in our same apartment building and have a little girl who will be in Luke's class! We have even seen pictures of our apartment for next year. We're pretty excited about it - it's on the 13th floor - has an incredible view of the mountains and city, but will require us to get a car pretty quickly upon arrival in Caracas. Which means saving as much money as we can over the next few months. Cars actually appreciate in Venezuela - check out tucarro.com to see prices -a 1984 Land Cruiser might cost $8500 or so there. We'd like to get something 4x4 to be able to drive into the mountains on the weekend for hikes, picnics, etc. I don't care if it's as old as me or ugly - just something safe, affordable, and that will get us where we want to go. Please be in prayer for us as we make this transition to Caracas. It really seems like God has gone before us and is blessing us already with what He has in store for us there.
    We have felt all along in this overseas "adventure" that we are doing what we're supposed to be doing, that God has a plan for us and He placed us here in Egypt for a reason (or several reasons) - and that He's got a plan for us in Venezuela, too. I was looking for the verse that says God will go before you - I think what I was remembering is Isaiah 52:12: "But you will not leave in haste or go in flight; for the LORD will go before you, the God of Israel will be your rear guard." How comforting to know that God goes before us AND behind us.
  • Let me just say that as far as school goes, we are ALL checked out. Kids and teachers both. I have been counting Sundays and Mondays (my least favorite days of the week) since there were 10 left. I did an art show back at the beginning of April, and each child had 2 pieces of artwork on display, which amounted to me hanging about 500 pieces of work by myself, mostly with sticky tack. I had sticky tack blisters on my fingers from peeling it off! It was fun, though. The halls looked great, the kids were proud, and I got to meet a lot of parents who said their kids loved art. After the art show, I did a sculpting unit which was totally exhausting and messy and fun. I learned to use a kiln and loved taking the kids into the kiln room and telling them all about it. We were all fascinated by the whole process.
  • We've spent lots of time this spring engrossed in LOST. Love it, can't get enough of it, still now, two weeks or three since the season ended, I'm looking for new articles on blogs about it. I am also having dreams in which I've figured out the secrets behind the whole show. I haven't dreamed about a TV show since I was addicted to Alias. We also watch TV with the Simons most weekends. We've watched all the seasons of Big Love (GREAT show) and now we're almost caught up with Entourage. I didn't think I would like Entourage, but it's good, too. Mostly I love spending time with Noel and Rachella, eating chocolate chip cookies, and laughing together. I will really, really miss them.

  • Summer's almost here! 13 days from today I will be in my parents' house, happy as a clam! (Are clams really happy?) There's lots of packing to do, though I think we have a pretty good start on it. The summer will be so short - we leave for Venezuela August 4 and we'll also spend some time in Wisconsin in June or July. We are going to try to have some kind of come and go get together so we can see as many people as possible.

3 comments:

davisclan said...

13 days!! Wow, it's happening so quickly! Sounds like God has prepared the way for you, not only with new friends and living arrangements, but also your own hearts. What a true adventure! HOpe to see you this summer,
amy and family

Solid said...

I didn't know you were going to Venezuela! Mail me some gas, please. It's cheap there, right?

On a serious note, we're going to be passing through the Dallas area around July 4-5(-6?). Any chance you guys will be around? Maybe we could meet up for lunch or something.

Kiki said...

Hi there! I just got caught up on your blog. I was so behind on the times. I'm sure you are in TX by now. Give us a call! Miss you!