Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving

Ok, I'm a day late on this post! Sorry - but we had to WORK on THANKSGIVING at the AMERICAN International School! We didn't even get to leave a little early, though it was a half-day for students and staff development for teachers, so that was pretty nice. Luke didn't have school on Thanksgiving, but Leni forgot and took him over there anyway! Oh well, at least they got out of the house for a while.

Luke came home Wednesday with his Indian feather hat, singing this cute little song his teacher taught him:



Last night we had our life group families over for a Thanksgiving pot-luck. We had just the right amount of delicious food! The kids played together so well, and the grown-ups had lots of time to talk and get to know one another. I think it was a great thing for our group.

I have to brag a little on Luke. In all my years of babysitting and watching kids, I have never seen a child so willingly share his toys the way Luke did last night. Keep in mind we don't have friends with little kids, so he pretty much gets his toys all to himself all the time. He rarely has to share anything with another child, so I was a little worried about how he would handle having six other children in the house playing with all his things. We talked briefly beforehand about sharing, but maybe for only a minute or so. Not ONCE did he complain or worry about the kids playing with his things. I was, frankly, surprised, and very proud!

Here's Gabe playing in the Mustang (which was a BIG hit with ALL the boys!)

Naomi, Paige, and Micah playing with the school house:

Luke and Janaea playing pirate ship on his bed:And here's sweet Landon with his daddy:

I think Janaea is Luke's favorite friend. When I asked him what he was thankful for today, he said, "Janaea. She's my good friend." I am so thankful he has kids to play with!

Today we're having Thanksgiving with the Simons. We had a FABULOSO breakfast this morning that Noel and Rachella made. Biscuits, eggs, SAUSAGE gravy, BACON, all goodness. Pork is not readily available here, so that was the first bacon and sausage I've had since August. YUM.

This afternoon we're having real Thanksgiving dinner with all the right stuff...except I think we forgot cranberry sauce. :( That's one of my favorite things, but at least I can get some at Christmas.

I found a recipe for school cafeteria rolls on the internet and tried that this year. They are not as tall and pretty as cafeteria rolls, though, and I'm not sure where I went wrong (the pan, my oven, the recipe). They taste and look more like the cafeteria spoon bread at North Ridge.

Here they are before baking:


The best part about these rolls is that I used some of the dough and turned them into cinnamon rolls. DELICIOUS (Thanks, Anne Marie!). Jason nearly ate the whole pan of them before I had to get him to stop!

I'll take pictures later today and add pictures of our obscenely large feast for five people. :) Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to you! I'm glad you liked the cinnamon rolls. I'm still so impressed with how articulate Luke is! I can always understand the words he sings.

If it makes you feel any better, I recall a Thanksgiving in Norway that included a full day of school, play practice after school, then taking a cab with a friend over to our dads' company's Thanksgiving celebration. That was kind of weird, but memorable.