Saturday, November 15, 2008

Great Weekend

This weekend was good. The weather in Cairo has turned cooler. Not cold yet, but cool enough to wear jeans and not sweat. The days, when they are not polluted, are beautiful right now. Here's how we spent our weekend:

Our life group from church meets Thursday nights, so that's how we started off. Leni went with us. I was hoping that she might find a friend in the Filipina lady who keeps the kids at the Bible study, but I am not sure how that is working out... Anyway, she went and stayed with Luke and the other kids while we went and had our study. There are four couples, all very nice, all American, and we meet on the roof of their building. (For now - soon it will be too cold.) We're starting a four-week study called The Abundant Marriage.

Friday morning I got up with Luke. We had an extended movie-watching time together. (He watched, I dozed. He's waking up at 6:30 nowadays. Ugh!) Then we all got dressed and went to the 11:15 service at church. The youth pastor preached, and he is a very gifted teacher. After church, we decided to head to Kimo Market and have some sandwiches made. We took the sandwiches, some drinks, and a big bag of Doritos (a treat) to the ballpark and had a picnic while we watched the AIS girls' softball team play. Luke got to play on the playground, Jason and I got to catch up with some friends, and I enjoyed being outside, feeling comfortable, and enjoying the beautiful day. By the way, Meg - those Doritos were the best ones I've had since the bag we had on New Year's Eve 2000!!

We spent the evening together at home. Then today I had my ladies' Bible study, which I enjoy so much. I have only discovered as an adult how wonderful it is to have GIRL friends - I've always had more guy friends -- but now I think they're indispensible! This group of girls is so caring, fun, and genuine. I only wish we'd all gotten together and started this group LAST year. But God's timing is perfect, and I am thankful to have them now.

This afternoon the family just hung around the house. I got my first two scrapbook pages made that I've made in at least a month and a half--maybe longer. I think I like them... maybe I will get around to taking pictures of them and posting them sooner or later.

Luke and Jason had all kinds of fun together this weekend. They had their weekly father/son breakfast of eggs and toast. Then they built an "awesome track," which is what we call a track we make using all his train track pieces. It's the greatest one ever made in the Deutsch house to date. They also built a tent and played cars inside. They danced to music together. And before bed, Jason has started saying The Lord's Prayer with Luke. Jason is so wonderful with him.

Luke informed us however that I am his best friend, and Daddy is his "wrestling friend." I do have to admit that I coach him a little bit on the best friend thing... :)

I made a horrible dinner tonight of chicken foldovers - puff pastry with chicken, mushroom soup, peas and carrots inside. Except in Cairo I can't get mushroom soup for less than $4 a can (so I refuse to buy it) and I couldn't find puff pastry, so I made do with a Phyllo dough type product. The carton told me to put it on an UNGREASED baking pan. I will never follow that direction on any recipe again! I have layer upon layer of caked on dough in my pan. Oh well, Jason redeemed the night for us. After my frustration with the chicken, he asked, "What can I do to make you happy?" Initially I said "just eat your dinner." After further thought, I said, "Make me some snickerdoodles." He's never made them before, but he is quite a pro at peanut butter cookies. So I printed out a recipe and they were the BEST snickerdoodles EVER. I could've eaten 40 of them but very heroically stopped myself after 5 or 6!!

So that was it... later I will write more about LAST weekend, when I got to go away to the Red Sea with the ladies from my Bible study, but I am waiting for some super-cute pictures from one of my friends to go with that post.

TTFN!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

35 more days... enough said

Georgie's mom said...

Yea for Doritos!!!