Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mimi and Kari's Egyptian Adventure - Day 4

After my previous post about the pyramids, this one is mercifully short on pictures! On Wednesday, I went to work while Jason and Luke took Mom and Kari to the museum.

Here's what the museum looks like from afar. This picture shows something we see a lot in Cairo--the juxtaposition of something noteworthy or beautiful with something icky, like the collection of dumpsters in this picture. I'm thinking it's nice that the garbage is actually in the dumpsters and not in a big mountain...



The museum itself has really different architecture than most of the buildings in Cairo. The garden out in front of it has a fountain and lots of sculptures, too.

A lot of pictures taken in the museum look really dark on the blog when I look at them on my school computer - they look fine on my laptop, so I'm not sure whether it's the computer or something that happens when I publish them. I've tried to brighten them, but if you can't see them very well I think it will help to open them in another window (they get bigger when you do that) and you should be able to see better.

Luke apparently loved showing Mimi and Aunt Kari the hieroglyphics. (The Little Einsteins Egypt episode helped this fascination along, I think.)




And, no, you're not supposed to be allowed to take cameras into the museum, but somehow they did... and this is one of the coolest pictures I've seen! Kari took it.


It's neat because it shows how the death mask is suspended in its glass case at eye level. You can walk all the way around it and see it from all sides.


They got lunch at the museum cafe, did some souvenir shopping, and headed home around 3.

Just in time to play pirates for a while before I got home!


We ate dinner at a really nice little restaurant in Maadi called Cellar Door. Delicious steaks! Luke was so sleepy. He asked Mimi to scratch his back right after he finished his peanut butter sandwich.

And in no time, this is what we had:
Good thing I sat on the side of the table with the couch seating!

No comments: